A gradual decline in testosterone levels is something all men have to deal with after the age of 30. It’s just a fact of life. A naturally occurring phenomenon. But we don’t have to take it sitting down. There are various things we can do to overcome the effects of low testosterone and boost testosterone levels. This post deals specifically with certain foods we can work into our diet to naturally increase testosterone.
- Lean Beef. That’s right! Throw a nice juicy steak on the grill and enjoy guilt-free bliss. Beef is high in protein, zinc, iron, and vitamin D. Everything you need to give your testosterone a jump start.
- Poultry. Whether you’re looking to lose weight or build muscle, chicken and turkey breasts are the perfect staple to a testosterone enhancing diet. High in protein, vitamin E, and zinc- and very low in fat. Season to taste.
- Oysters. Not everyone likes oysters. Add to that the seasonal availability and cost, and they may not seem like a very good option. But these little powerhouses are loaded with zinc and protein. Not to mention omega 3 fatty acids.
- Eggs. You just can’t go wrong with eggs. Hard boiled or scrambled are my personal cooking preferences, but don’t let that limit you. Eggs are loaded with protein, vitamins and minerals, including choline which helps to metabolize fat.
- Cottage Cheese. Many people are surprised when they hear how good cottage cheese actually is for you. It can be described in two words: protein powerhouse! Just be sure to limit your intake, otherwise you’ll have a hard time losing weight, if that’s your goal.
- Beans. I absolutely love beans! If you’re looking to lose weight, build muscle, or just maintain overall health, beans can do it all. They’re loaded with antioxidants, fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals. There’s a large variety of beans to choose from, and they’re cheap!
- Broccoli. This has to be one of the most versatile vegetables around. It’s a natural anti-inflammatory that is chocked full of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein. It can be chopped up raw and put into a salad or steamed and used as a side for your chicken or steak.
- Avocados. Once again, you may or may not be a fan. I personally am not crazy about avocados. But this is the stuff that testosterone dreams are made of! Loaded with vitamin B6, folic acid, and monounsaturated fats. These will give your testosterone boosting efforts a jolt.
- Nuts. There is a large variety of nuts to choose from. Almonds are definitely one of the popular favorites. Nuts are a nutritional powerhouse. Vitamins, minerals, and omega 3’s. Just keep in mind that they are calorically dense. Meaning that it doesn’t take many to get the job done. If weight loss is your goal, go easy on the nuts.
- Cabbage. Due to its thicker, crunchier texture, I’ll often use cabbage in my salads in place of lettuce. Just a personal preference. But cabbage is another vegetable that is packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, choline, and protein. A sound nutritional choice!
This is just a starter list. Obviously there are many more foods that can be used to boost testosterone. And I will be sharing those with you in future posts. Start by making small changes in your diet, and add other lifestyle changes slowly.